FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-i386 will changing root shell break anything?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Jan 4 14:14:04 PST 2009

freebsd-questions:

I'm building a fresh Amanda server using FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-i386:

http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=misc&portname=amand
a-server

Most of my software background is GNU/Linux.  I would prefer using the
Bash shell, but the default FreeBSD shell for root appears to be the C
shell:

    p3450# echo $SHELL
    /bin/csh

I have changed the root shell to Bash on another machine I use as a CVS
server and haven't noticed any issues yet, but I've been wondering if
I'm setting myself up for problems by doing so.

Does anybody know if it's okay to change the root shell on FreeBSD
7.0-RELEASE-i386?

TIA,

David