Portuguese accents

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sun Jan 4 13:09:59 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 09:47:08PM +0000, Daniel Leal wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am portuguese, and so I need accents above a few letter, like a, e and
> i. I mean: ã â á à é è í ì ê, etc etc etc...
> I am really confused with the accents.
>
> In most X apps these accents work well, but for example, in a xterm,
> with the "ee" editor, I can write the accented letter correctly. But
> when I use "more" to read the file I just created with "ee" I cant see
> these accented letters correctly!

Try using less(1) instead of more. A quick test on my machine shows it
renders digraphs correctly.

You might want to change your $PAGER in ~/.profile

> With aterm, not even with "ee" this works it appears: ~a, 'e,`e, `i, etc
> etc etc...

Don't know about aterm.

> /etc/rc.conf has:
> keymap="pt.iso.acc"
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf has:
> Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>    Driver         "kbd"
>    Option "XKbModel" "abnt2"
>    Option "XKbLayout" "pt"
> EndSection
>

> how can I solve this?
> Is it impossible to list and also name files with accented letter?

I don't know if it's possible but I'd stick to none accented letters
if I was in your position. AFAIK, all the fileutils use ascii.

> Thanks,
>
> daniel

Regards,

--