OT: how many rankmount units is a tower-case

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Jan 4 08:24:22 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 08:30:50AM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Aryeh M. Friedman
> <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a server that is a full tower case and want to co-locate it and
> > all the providers list pricing in rackmount units.... so what value of x
> > in xU should I get?
>
> When it comes to rackmounts, 1U = 1.75 inches.  2U would be 3.5
> inches, etc.  I'll let you do the measuring and math. ;)

It might be worth noting that 1U corresponds exactly to the height of
a typical bay for 5.25" units.

A normal tower case when lain on the side normally has a height
of approximately 4U.  Note though that most tower cases are not designed
to be rackmounted and will not fit in typical rack.
There are some cases available though that can be used both as
floor-standing towers, or as rack-mounted cases.

I suspect that many co-location services either only accepts rack-mountable
servers, or charge extra for non-rackmounted cases, so it might be worth
checking that.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson