Using HDD's for ZFS: 'desktop' vs 'raid / enterprise' -edition drives?

Charles Richards richardsc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 21:49:41 UTC 2009

> think twice before doing.

Why? I've had better luck with ZFS than I've had with VINUM and GEOM
in the past, and I've put my ZFS "array" through alot of stress.

If his data (photo / video storage) is that important, then perhaps he
wants to do soemthing else ... but for a cheap way to get tons of
storage, ZFS can't be beat.

ZFS has got it's caveats and gotchas - you *must* tune your FreeBSD
installation to get stability.

See here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide

I'm running a fileserver-in-a-closet (patent pending) on FreeBSD 7.0-
amd64, with 10x250GB drives in a single RAIDZ2 for my home storage
needs.

  I'm using old Maxtor SATA150 drives, which are "desktop" class.
Several of them have had to remap sectors while being a part of the
array, and I've never had ZFS complain, nor had the drive be "dropped"
by the OS.

I'd suggest that the OP and yourself do some in-depth reading about
ZFS and how it works. The best documentation I've found as yet is here:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/ondiskformat0822.pdf

Charles Richards
richardsc at gmail.com
charlesrichards.net