disklabel not returning values for large RAID

Darren David darren at thebomb.com
Fri Jan 2 06:47:51 UTC 2009

Hi all-

I recently added a 4th 750GB disk to my existing 1.5TB 3ware RAID5
volume, in an attempt to bring my total capacity up to ~2.25TB (4x750GB
RAID5).

I successfully used the 3ware 'tw-cli' utility to perform "Online
Capacity Expansion." The controller migrated the existing data across
all 4 disks, and it now reports a total volume capacity of 2095.44GB.
Excellent.

So, the issue I'm having is with getting FreeBSD 7.0-Release to
recognize the additional space. I've seen scant few articles on the
subject, the best of which is here:

http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200111/growfs.html

My primary issue right now is that when I attempt to run disklabel on
the volume (/dev/da0) in order to get my calculations for fdisk, i get:

# disklabel /dev/da0
disklabel: disks with more than 2^32-1 sectors are not supported

and when I attempt it on the slice, i get:

# disklabel /dev/da0s1
disklabel: /dev/da0s1: no valid label found

What's the trick here?

Thanks in advance,
Darren David