Nice web interface or music?

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Fri Jan 2 01:23:45 UTC 2009

Please keep the list cc'd since others may know more than I do.

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, stan wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 04:29:18PM -0500, Chris Hill wrote:

>> Sorry for the brevity earlier. The squeezecenter software is intended
>> for use in supporting the Squeezebox family of hardware music players
>> made by Logitech, hence the "congrats". You *don't* actually have to
>> create any account, and I'm not sure why they ask you to. You don't
>> have to buy a player either; I use the included Java Web Start
>> "virtual player". On the web interface, look under Extras ->
>> SoftSqueeze and use either the applet or the JWS. Or you could buy a
>> player [later], or both.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to help out with this. What I am trying to
> do is make the music available to some friends of mine, who live in a
> diferent city. I want them to be ble to downlaod the songs, so that
> can play them on thier Ipods, and alos listen to the music streamed
> from my machine.

I would first get it working on your local network, then work on the
remote part.

> OK, I downloaded, and ran that.
>

>> You also need to put your music on the server in order to serve it
>> (!). I have mine in a hierarchy of directories for artists and
>> albums, but I guess you could just put your (properly tagged) mp3s on
>> the machine somewhere. Tell squeezecenter where it is and have it
>> re-scan.
>
> Right, I have them in the webservers tree. I figured out how to point
> the software at them, and created a new directory for the "project",
> Now I can work my way through picking musinc, but when I press that
> "play" Icon (right hand top of the screen). it does not play the misc.
> What am I doing wrong?

I'm guessing that when you say "screen", you mean the web interface to
the Squeezecenter server, accessed via http://your_servers_ip:9000. That
screen talks to the server; it does not control the local machine on
which you are browsing to it. Presumably the local machine has the X
display, sound card etc. Just to confuse the issue some more, the server
can run on the same machine as you're browsing from.

Although you don't need to buy a hardware player, you (and whatever
friends want to listen later) will have to run some sort of player. As I
said before, if you don't want to buy a hardware player you can use
either of the two built-in Java-based software players.

HTH.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]