kernel #4

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 11:43:29 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:

> Vasadi I. Claudiu Florin wrote:
> >
> > Hello guyz,
> >
> > Here's a short question (was unable to find a google)
> >
> > uname states my kernes as being: Freebsd-7.1-STABLE #4
> >
> > What exactly is that "#4" mean ?
> >
> > Recompiled it 20 min. ago, so I figure it has something to do with
> > maybe, I don't know, some sub-version of the sources ?
>
> No. It means that this is the fourth time that you've recompiled the
> kernel (IIRC).
>
> You will see #5 if you do another recompile.
>
> Steve

Actually this is the 5th time --- computers start counting at zero.
#0 first time
#1 second time
#2 third time
#3 fourth time
#4 fifth time....  and on...

To reset this, you have to remove the build directory for the kernel and
re-config, recompile.

This number has NOTHING to do with the state of the sources, it just keeps
track of how many times the kernel has been built from the same build
directory.