Odd problem with DNS and IP change.
andrei693 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 08:04:55 PST 2009
I have a strange problem and I don't know what to relate it to. My ISP
changed my IP from (eg) 10.1.1.1 to 184.108.40.206. I have changed my zone
files to reflect that change.
"dig -t mx domain.com" results in mail.domain.com 3600 IN A 220.127.116.11
(the new ip). However when i try:
"ping mail.domain.com" it tries to get to 10.1.1.1 the old ip and gets
time to live exceeded fro an ip along the route. When i try to ping
domain.com it gets all ok as it pings the new ip. I've also tried dig
@(forwarders in named.conf) and they to got the correct mx dns entry for
In rc.conf i have hostname="mail.domain.com" (eg), i haven't changed
it, i'm thinking it's something related to hostid or hostuid but i don't
know where to search for this topic.
If anyone has a clue what to try or where to look upon this behavior
please shed some light.
310280 Arad - Romania
mobile <+40 740 089 315>
email <andrei [at] bsoft-company.ro>
More information about the freebsd-questions