Can sysinstall be run interactively to install onto a second drive?

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Fri Feb 27 09:44:00 PST 2009

Can I run sysinstall on a live system, booted say from ad0 and use it to install a new OS onto a second drive, say ad1? I'm trying to do something like this:

sysinstall configFile=install.cfg loadConfig

where I have the target drive identified in the sysinstall script, but it doesn't seem to like what I'm trying to do.

Basically what I need to do is given a FreeBSD distribution, I want an automated procedure I can run on a system to build a new system with a specific set of packages and other customizations we need. We have this setup now using a PXE boot server, but I'd like something I can run interactively that doesn't require a boot server.