Why Atheros WiFi card is so unstable?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Fri Feb 27 00:52:22 PST 2009

I have Linux box sitting next to FreeBSD box that has a very cheap
Airlink 101 card but has no problems connecting to my WiFi network.

Every time when Linux box says that quality of connection drops below
10/100 FreeBSD box shows "status: no carrier".
Linux connections still function ok.

I even bought a large WiFi antenna for FreeBSD box but still have this
problem.

Is there some "sensitivity" parameter that driver may be setting too low
on the card?
Why wouldn't the quality of connection with Atheros card be so unstable
on FreeBSD?

7.1-STABLE
ath_hal: 0.9.20.3 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xcffe0000-0xcffeffff irq 16 at device 5.0 on pci0

Yuri