Can stock syslog do hostA -> fileA?

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Thu Feb 26 07:27:59 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 8:19 AM, Paul Halliday wrote:

> I am collecting syslogs from a PIX and a couple of Barracudas. It
> would be a lot easier for each to have their own logfile. I have been
> poking around a bit; I saw this one:
>
> +host1 /var/log/host1
>
> but it doesn't appear to work.

Years ago I tried and failed at the same.  Since then, I've moved to
syslog-ng which I've been extremely happy with.

Here is the bit in my syslog-ng.conf file for logging things from
remote hosts

# for stuff from remote hosts:
destination hosts {
     file("/var/log/HOSTS/$HOST/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$FACILITY-$YEAR$MONTH
$DAY"
     owner(daemon) group(wheel) dir_owner(daemon) dir_group(wheel)
     perm(0640) dir_perm(0750) create_dirs(yes));
};

log {
     source(s_udp);
     destination(hosts);