hi

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Feb 23 09:15:53 PST 2009

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:04:48 -0800, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> You can always check out ... from a date before its removal from
>> the ports/ tree ...  If you need help with maintaining a local
>> copy of the relevant ports ...  let me know and I'll write a short
>> mini-guide for checking out the ports before their removal and
>> building them as local ports.
>
> This sounds as if it would make a good Handbook section.

Documenting such local 'hacks' in the Handbook is a bit like rubber
stamping them with the official 'recommended by FreeBSD' seal of
approval.  I am not sure I would like that a lot.  Serious security
problems may exist in stale, unmaintained ports.  It would be a bit
bad to make it sound like the entire FreeBSD project approves and even
recommends this sort of thing.