Command line video player

nawcom nawcom at nawcom.com
Sat Feb 21 02:26:54 PST 2009

Mehul Ved wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am setting up a P1 90MHz machine for some light multimedia
> playback for a friend. As of now, it is running on FreeBSD 5.5. We
> have been able to play mp3's using mpd and it's doing well till now.
> Next, I am looking for a video player. But, I have following problems
> while proceeding :
> 1) Would the machine be able to handle any kind of videos
> 2) I am not able to find mplayer for 5.5 so I tried to get it's
> package from 5-RELEASE, which lists lots of dependancies. How do I get
> mplayer package for 5.5
> 3) Is there any other video player with lesser dependencies since the
> machine has just 4GB HDD.

the only dependencies it really has are the codecs that you want it to
support. Heck, you can compile it so it only plays mp3 audio and xvid
avis if you want to. So if you insist to go down the package route, i'm
sure it was compiled with a ton of codecs included. if you compile it
yourself, you just need to include what you want supported. And
compiling those codec libraries or whatever won't take up too much disk
space either.  That's my suggestion to this situation you have.