Install 7.1 DVD iso UNetbootin Eee Box

loony loonybomber at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 10:52:18 PST 2009

Has anyone had any luck with UNetbootin and the 7.1 DVD iso?

I'm trying to prep USB media on windows vista64.  Unlike the CDROM based isos, the DVD install is compressed .gz. I assume the iso needs to be extracted prior to loading it with UNetbootin and wonder if somehow gzip.exe on Windows is messing with the sanctity (for lack of better technical term) of the iso files.

When I boot from a 8gb usb device I've prepped with 7.1 DVD using UNetbootin, I get a missing or corrupted kernel image.  No problems with using the latest BackTrack iso.

I'm putting together a resource for running FreeBSD on the Asus Eee box at http://groups.google.com/group/freebsd-eee-box?hl=en and would really appreciate assistance with creating a USB boot media (preferably on Windows but a FBSD 7.0 box is available as well) based on the DVD as the DVD is a lot more convenient than a CDROM install.

Is it possible to edit the syslinux file installed by UNetbootin to point to a generic kernel in the kernels directory?

Thanks.