NanoBSD :: smallest image size

Paul Procacci pprocacci at datapipe.com
Thu Feb 19 08:14:58 PST 2009

Outback Dingo wrote:
> even so, im not so sure alot of people with to run a full install on a
> firewall, for various reasons. If I was doing it, Id go with a CF card, or
> USB, though age of system might make that unreliable. even pfsense can run
> straight off cdrom, makes a decent option also.
>
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Wojciech Puchar <
> wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>

>> Yeah, I realize it's more powerful than necessary to handle the
>>
>>> task...though my current firewall/router is a 860+ Mhz PIII w/ 128 Megs of
>>> ram.  So, this would be a downgrade for my current firewall/router which
>>> allows me to repurpose the existing machine for something more
>>> computationally expensive.
>>>

>> so - downgrade. FreeBSD easily runs (full, not stripped) on 32MB RAM

I did consider running it off a straight cd, but I alter my routes
enough through various tunnels I have established that this would be a
pain.  (i.e. updating vtund configs)  The disk-on-module is spot on and
that's what I'll probably use: $14 bucks for 128 Megs w/ NanoBSD I
believe is goingn to suffice nicely.

Thanks Guys!
~Paul