Problem with dbus and hald on FreeBSD-7.1

manish jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:36:44 PST 2009

Hi,

I installed FreeBSD 7.1 on my system a couple of days back. While the
rest of the system works very well, I keep getting the following errors
when I start gnome :

gnome-keyring-daemon : couldn't allocate secure memory to keep passwords
and or keys from being written to the disk

gnome-keyring-daemon : error connecting to the D-Bus system bus. Failed
to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system-bus-socket : No such file or
directory

gnome-keyring-daemon : Scheduling hal init retry

The 2nd and 3rd error messages (above) keep getting repeated as long as
the X session is active. Incidentally, there are no pid files in
/var/run/dbus/ and /var/run/hald/

My system is a Celeron 800 MHz on a Tomato motherboard with an Intel 810
chipset. Its ACPI is on the FreeBSD blacklist, and I had to enable it
through /boot/loader.conf. Disabling or enabling ACPI does not seem to
have any effect on the problem I am facing.

Performance of the X-server is greatly and adversely affected by the
above problem. I would request anyone to advise me how to get dbus and
hald up and running correctly.

Also, when I start an X session as root, I cannot access most of the
graphical adminstrative utilities (User and group management, for
example). I get an error to the effect "You are not authorised for this
action : Permission denied". I wonder if this is related to the
dbus/hald problem in any way.

Warm regards
Manish Jain
invalid.pointer at gmail.com