Assigning static ip address

Fri Feb 13 10:55:00 PST 2009

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> >From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong):
>
> - you are working on a FreeBSD host system
> - you have a DHCP server on the network, but it is not on this host
> - you want to use all of the DHCP assigned parameters on the host, but
> you want to have a static IP on the host you are working on that is
> different than the one assigned to you

    Yep, all your assumptions are correct! I did in fact at some point
try creating a lease for the em0 interface in "dhclient.conf", but I
understand those leases are only used if the dhcp server is unavailable,
and it never had any effect.

    ... But the dhcp server is in my router, so I followed your
suggestion and created a static lease (which before I didn't know I
could do), so now everything works - thanks a lot!!

    br Nikolaj