recovering from a power outage

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Feb 13 05:16:27 PST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:11:56 -0500, Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:
> 	One of my machines has a pair of 50gb SCSI disks; running two
> full passes takes about 7 minutes.
> 	I have no idea how long it might take to check a multi-terabyte
> RAID-<mumble> set-up.

It's not *that* hard to wait for an fsck. I have 2 x 500 GB here at home,
you're right, it takes several minutes for fsck to check both disks, but
in the end, you're happy that either everything turns out to be okay or,
if problems occured, you see these problems and can decide how to handle
them.

> 	Still worth waiting ... in my opinion.

I'd rather wait than lose data.

But as you said, it's very individual how you think about this. If backups
are done properly, sometimes it might even be easier *not* to repair data,
but to put back the backups on the newly initialized disks...

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0