Old user can't log in

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Feb 12 20:37:41 PST 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 8:17 PM, Da Rock wrote:
> I've been following this thread with interest: are you saying FreeBSD
> logins cannot handle more than 16 groups? If so, why? Is this
> mitigated
> by using other authentication methods (ie kerberos, ldap, etc)?

There's a compile-time limit of the relevant kernel data structures as
to how many groups a user can be in, described by "sysctl
kern.ngroups".  It's possible to recompile the kernel with a larger
number, but doing so will break NFS (and possibly other things).  It
doesn't matter whether you use Kerberos, LDAP, etc to set up the
groups; while those things do not have a 16-group limit, the FreeBSD
kernel [1] does.

With reasonable organization, and appropriate use of sudo or setgid
binaries for things like people who use SVN or CVS, there generally
isn't reason or need for a user to be in so many groups.  For the
exceptional cases, switching to using a full ACL system rather than
the traditional Unix permission model is probably going to be a better
solution.

Regards,
--
-Chuck