recovering from a power outage

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Thu Feb 12 20:00:28 PST 2009

Jerry McAllister writes:

>  > > do I need to
>  > > boot into single-user mode, what filesystem(s) do I mount and how,
>  > > what switches if any do I use with fsck and so on.
>  > >
>  > i thought it happens in the background anyway. i don't recall having to
>  > do anything other than listen to the drive whirring away - and we've
>  > had many power outages!
>
>  It does run in the background, but if you have time, it isn't a
>  bad idea to run it in single user before bring the whole system
>  back up in the circumstance of a catastrophic failure like a power
>  outage.

	1) It was my understanding one has to force-mount a dirty
filesuystem.  IF this sounds like a practice best left to senior
Jedi Masters ... it porbably is.
	2) I would _never_ let background fsck "take care of things"
after a crash,  While hovering over the keyboard is a pain, I will
find out how badly things are damaged, rather than have boatloads of
files mysteriously vanish.

				Robert Huff