recovering from a power outage

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 17:05:52 PST 2009

David Newman wrote:
> On 2/12/09 4:41 PM, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 04:06:49PM -0800, David Newman wrote:
>>

>>> What's the canonical method for checking ufs file systems on a FreeBSD
>>> 7.1/amd64 system after an unscheduled power outage?
>>>
>> How about fsck
>>

> Right. I'm asking procedurally how that's invoked -- eg., do I need to
> boot into single-user mode, what filesystem(s) do I mount and how, what
> switches if any do I use with fsck and so on.
>
> thanks!
>
> dn
>

>> ////jerry
>>

>>> thanks
>>>
>>> dn

It's part of the bootup scripts now.  It runs in the background 60
seconds after the login prompt shows up (not exactly, but close to 60 secs)

it's the background_fsck option that defaults to YES in /etc/rc
startup.  only if there's major problems will it bail out, screaming for
help.  it'll drop you into a shell telling you that the filesystems need
repair.

--Tim