accents in file names

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Feb 12 14:44:52 PST 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 1:46 PM, Daniel Leal wrote:
> is there a way to have a freebsd system with file names with
> accented words. Like "filé.txt" instead of "file.txt". Now if I copy
> a file with an accented letter to my freebsd box, the accented
> letter simply disappear.

UFS supports 8-bit characters except for "/" and "\0", but you also
need to run a terminal with UTF8 support and use a correct font to
view such things.  Perhaps this might give you some insight:

   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

Note that other file systems have more comprehensive Unicode support:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems#Limits

Perhaps I'm biased, but I've long been of the opinion that the Mac
platform with HFS+ has very good internationalization support.

Regards,
--
-Chuck