Determining process preventing umount of busy partition

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 22:42:00 PST 2009

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
>> Replying to my own message... I'm so stupid: How do I *use* lsof which
>> is /usr/local/sbin/lsof when actually trying to umount /usr? Can I
>> put a copy of it into, let's say, /root/bin? I've checked library
>> dependencies:
>>
>>     # which lsof | xargs ldd
>>     /usr/local/sbin/lsof:
>>             libkvm.so.4 => /lib/libkvm.so.4 (0x280a2000)
>>             libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x280aa000)
>>
>> So this is on the / partition. This should work, am I right?
>
> Don't use lsof for that then.  Use fstat(1) which is part of the base
> system:
>
>     # fstat -f /usr

Must stop replying to these things before I've had enough coffee.
fstat(1) is of course installed as /usr/bin/fstat so unmounting /usr
will seriously cramp its style.  As you say -- there are no shlib
dependencies on stuff under /usr so just slap a copy somewhere on
the root partition and away you go.

	Cheers,

	Matthew, who avoids having to think about any of this stuff
        by the simple expedient of not having a separate /usr
        partition.

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW