gtkpod permissions problem

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:43:45 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net> writes:
> >
> > > I have installed gtkpod for use with my Nano, but I'm having a problem
> > > when trying to add files.  The Nano is mounted at /mnt/ipod, and when I
> > > try to add a file I get a message similar to this:
> > >
> > > Transfer of 'Petite Fleur' failed. Error opening
> > > '/mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F00/gtkpod795096.mp3' for writing
> > > (Permission denied).
> > >
> > > The file, in this case Petite Fleur, shows up in gtkpod, but it can't
> be
> > > written to the Nano.  This obviously looks like a permissions problem,
> > > but I can't figure out its cause.
> >
> > Look at the permissions on that file, and the directory containing it,
> > and the mount point.  I'm sure at least one of them isn't sufficiently
> > permitted to the user running gtkpod.
>
> You were quite right.  I was dealing with a Nano that already had files
> on it installed by iTunes.  Nothing that I could do, even as root, would
> allow me to change the permissions of /mnt/ipod.  To make a long story
> short, I cleared the Nano of all previously installed files, and started
> from zero with gtkpod and now everything works smoothly.  I'm still not
> sure why I wasn't able to change the permissions of the mounted Nano as
> su, but I guess that is typical when dealing with mounted devices.
>
> --Rem

Depending on the filesystem of the iPod itself -- for example an MSDOS/FAT
format will set a UID/GID on mount, and no chown will hold.

umount /mnt/ipod
chown root:wheel /mnt/ipod
chmod 0777 /mnt/ipod
# optionally, set it sticky bit, chmod 1777 /mnt/ipod
mount /dev/ipod /mnt/ipod

now try to access the files.

I am aware the problem was previously fixed, but for the archives among
other reasons, I felt compelled to reply.

Enjoy your iPod.