How to compile a network driver given source code

Amer Alhabsi amer.alhabsi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 09:57:23 PST 2009

Hi,

I have Benq Joybook R43 notebook. It has network interface based on SiS 191.
However, I can't configure it as it does not show up in ifconfig nor in
sysinstall/configure/networking/interfaces. Dmesg says: No Driver Attached.

After some search I found that someone has written a driver but it
hasn't been put int the official FreeBSD release. I want to try my
luck with the driver. My question is where to place the source code
files? and how to compile it (I assume it can be part of a kernel
rebuild if placed in the right directory)

The source code for the driver consists of the 3 files: if_sis19x.c,
if_sis19xreg.h and Makefile.

Thanks,

Amer,