having trouble with OpenOffice

Michael Powell nightrecon at verizon.net
Fri Feb 6 16:32:08 PST 2009

Andrew Falanga wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Adam Vande More
> <amvandemore at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> af300wsm at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Tonight I finally took the bull by the horns and got OpenOffice
>>> installed. However, I'm not having a problem that I haven't found an
>>> answer to yet but seems to be related to the X server (from searches on
>>> the net). So, I do this:
>>>
>>> [andy at sniper /usr/home/andy]$ /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-2.4.2-scalc
>>> I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"
>>> The application cannot be started.
>>> The component manager is not available.
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>>

>>> As you can tell, OpenOffice failed because my OS doesn't support locale
>>> "en_US." Huh!?! I'm using the English version. In fact, the only way to
>>> consider me as being bilingual is something of a matter of mental
>>> gymnastics because English is spoken in England and to me, England is a
>>> foreign country. Thus, I'm bilingual, or at the least, I speak a foreign
>>> language.
>>>
>>> Never the less, how would this be fixed?

[snip]

Two things come to mind. You can change your locale to one of the en_US
varieties. Probably not what you want to do. The other is to install the
appropriate en_GB OpenOffice.org I18N langpack. O_o.org out of the box only
has built in for en_US, but there are langpacks available for many others.

A quick perfunctory perusal of the ports tree and I didn't see these.
Possibly this might be useable:

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/FreeBSD/

-Mike