OT: SVN checkout checksumming

FreeBSD freebsd at optiksecurite.com
Wed Feb 4 07:18:01 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

I have asked this question on the svnforum.org and didn't got a good
answer, so I try it here.

I want to use SVN to automate the update process of a custom
application. So, I'm planning to indicate to every PC to update
periodically to a specific branch of the repository. The problem is that
I need to be sure the files where not corrupted during the transfer. So,
I'm planning to generate the hash (SHA or MD5, doesn't really matters)
of every file downloaded by SVN on the client. For this to work, I need
to compare the hashes with their server-side equivalent. I looked at the
post-commit hooks and it looks pretty interesting but is anyone doing
something similar? How are you creating the file containing the hash of
the committed file?

I got 2 answers on the forum from people thinking that SVN takes care of
the checksumming by itself, but I would like a little more information
than that. What is the algorithm used would be a nice start.

Thank you for sharing your OT knowledge!

Martin