Where do I find instructions on how to configure sane-epkowa

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Thu Dec 31 11:26:00 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-31 12:04, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 12:06:20AM +0100, Leslie Jensen wrote:
>>
>> my dll.conf:
>
> Personally, I would only leave in the backends that I actually use.

What do you mean?

>> epkowa.conf
>>
>> usb 0x04b8 0x0130
>
> That should be OK.
>
>> I've created /etc/devfs.rules it was not present!
>>
>> With the line:
>>
>> add path 'usb/*' mode 0660
>
> This means you'd have to be in the wheel or operator group to have access!
> Either add a specific group that you are a member of, or use 0666.

Yes I am, and I always test as root.

> You should also have a ruleset identifier in devfs.rules. Read devfs.rules(5).
> And you'd have to activate the ruleset in /etc/rc.conf. After that it is best
> to reboot to make sure all the changes are in effect.

I have devfs_system_ruleset="system" i rc.conf and

[system=10]
add path 'usb/*' mode 0660
in devfs.rules

> Or you can test the scanner as root, like Warren said. Root has access to all
> devices. Try running xscanimage from a terminal, and look at the error
> messages, if any.

:xscanimage
[xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
           different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
           detected by sane-find-scanner (if appropriate). Please read
           the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
           manpages).
:sudo xscanimage
[xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
           different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
           detected by sane-find-scanner (if appropriate). Please read
           the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
           manpages).

> If scanning works as root but not as a normal user, it is probably a
> permission problem.

The messages above plus the fact that scanimage -L produces the same
message as above suggests to me that the system stil needs to be made
aware of the scanner. I just not able to figure out where to do it.

> Roland
/Leslie