xorg-7.4_2 error (was xorg 7.4 questions)

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Wed Dec 30 21:41:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, doug at safeport.com wrote:

[non applicable stuff cut]

> Starting xdm gives the following in /var/log/xdm-log:
>
>     :
>  finished PLL1
>  set RMX
>  set LVDS
>  enable LVDS
>  disable primary dac
>  disable FP1
>  disable TV
>  /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/X: Undefined symbol "shmctl"
>  xdm error (pid 1416): server unexpectedly died
>  xdm error (pid 1416): Server for display :0 can't be started, session
>  disabled

This is mostly likely because my 7.2 libc is earlier than the one used to build
the package. I am told that, "there's a strong argument that 7-stable packages
should actually be built against 7.0, which defines the binary interface, but
the portmgr folks are not convinced to do so".

As an end-user I would at least plead for a doc-change. This bit explains a lot
of 'random' behavior that gets reported. Getting an error is the best that can
be hoped for. A change in a syscall that produces a silent error is much more
time consuming. Xorg being Xorg this is just, I am sure, the next layer. This is
also most likely the answer to threads on 10/09/09 and 12/17/09.

So in general if you have an issue with one of these mega-packages first make
sure your build is later than the package build date. With ports that get
unexplained compile error[s], the answer is also [first] update your system.