geometry does not match label

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 30 17:06:42 UTC 2009

Robin Becker wrote:

> I'm just setting up a software raid mirror using geom; everything seems to
> be working fine and the mirror is slowly synchronizing.
>
> Because of cabling constraints this is a mirror rather than a duplex (I
> haven't used mirror before) so the gm0 components are ad0/ad1 rather than
> ad0/ad2. In dmesg I see
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device mirror/gm0 launched (1/2).
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: rebuilding provider ad1.
> GEOM: mirror/gm0s1: geometry does not match label (16h,63s != 255h,63s).
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s1a
>
> anyone know if I should worry about the "geometry does not match label"
> message?

>From what I understand, no. I've seen this on all my machines at boot up
since the recent round of updating. Since the consensus seems to be that it
is harmless I've ignored it and have experienced no problem of any kind to
date. This is still a "YMMV" thing, but I'd bet you can ignore it too.

You should know that the ad0/ad1 will result in a fairly drastic performance
hit. This is a master/slave arrangement on the same channel. You really
really should get another cable and do the ad0/ad2 arrangement.

-Mike