does toor have passwd or not? According to logins -p: yes

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Dec 30 17:06:23 UTC 2009

Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>> If there's nothing in the second field, then you have a problem, as that
>> means the account has a NULL password (ie.  just hit return when prompted
>> for a password --

> I've been wrong before, but I think you do not get a password prompt at
> all,
> at least not on login.  You enter the login: name and you are off to motd
> and a command prompt.

It depends on what application you're using to authenticate yourself.
Login on the console doesn't ask for a password.  sshd(8) does (IIRC).
I can't remember what su(1) does.  ftpd(8) always asks for a password.
xdm(1) and that ilk have fields for username and password in one panel,
and generally you just ignore the password field.  That's for access to
a non-root account: as I said, root or other super-user accounts such as
toor may not permit root login at all, or may not permit login without a
password.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3