clicky driver

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Dec 26 14:19:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 20:23:22 -0800 Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

 > > Hi Gary,
 > >
 > > someone posted recently about the play-string language for /dev/speaker,
 > > see speaker(4). Could you do something with that?
 > >
 > > btw thanks to whoever posted the play-string code for frere jaques -
 > > cracked me up :)
 > >
 > > Chris

Yeah :)  I play little tunelets on certain battery power events, when
some IP gets blacklisted by some logtailing script, things like that.

 > 	Wow; the stuff I've never heard about:-)   --I just tried spkrtest
 > 	and have no /dev/speaker.

# kldload speaker

device speaker isn't in kernel GENERIC.  If it doesn't work immediately,
try adding speaker_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf .. this assumes that
your box _has_ a working speaker, eg beeps once while booting?

Some laptops use the sound'card' for speaker, and provide a mixer level.

 > 	The short answer [Guess] is no, I dont think so.  If getting the
 > 	keys to have an auditory feedback with beeps or shorter clicks were
 > 	that easy, it would have been done after 15 years.  Even Linux
 > 	lacks this--and I'd bet Minux too.
 >
 > 	What I've got to do is pick up where I kwit ten years ago with the
 > 	kernel driver code and drop the the code to make the speaker-audio
 > 	create tiny, brief clicks, preferably low, thunky sounds like ye
 > 	ancient IBM Selectrics.

You can do quite a lot with various tempos, intervals and frequencies;
see speaker(4) and play around.  Making a short click or thunk! should
be easy enough, but spkrtest and echoing playstrings >/dev/speaker are
userland processes; I've no idea how much 'fun' it would be to invoke
/dev/speaker ioctls from the kbd drivers.  But if you're really keen:

% find /sys/ -name "speaker*" -o -name "spkr*"

cheers, Ian