clicky driver

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Dec 26 04:51:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 02:43:56AM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 12:47:49PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Nothing tactile, and because neither Linux nor BSD has an audio
> > 	"click", not even that.  Sun does have a command line
>
> It should. The X window system provides a way to get keyclicks with
> xset(1). The command 'xset c 100' whould generate the loudest click possible.
>
> Whether you hear something depends e.g. on how the X server is started, and
> wether the hardware supports it. On my PC I hear the 'bell' from the PC
> speaker, but no clicks.

	Blow me away!  Is there a version of xset without X11? Or: how do I
	get X up on my server?  I.e.: what do I need to compile it and
	launch to get, say, twm up?  I bought the loudest old-fashioned
	clicky keyboard (for like $80) and it's beautifully loud.  Tactile
	Plus auditory feedback.  It is beyond outstanding.  But to bring
	this along with some notebook would not be practical.  I can barely
	hear my desktop's beep when I have mail, so can't hear anything
	when I do

	% xset c 100 .

	Besides, in '99 I was able to gen up regular beep, beep, beep
	with each keystroke.  --I killed that; after a minute it was
	driving me up the bloody wall.  But that is the right approach.

	---Nutshell, I would like someone with more kernel background than
	I have to help me.  At least with the compile in diver,
	rebuild-install kernel script.  Like Polyt noted, it won't be
	easy.  But I think it's worth a couple weekends' of experimenting.

	What kind of desktop computer do you have?

	gary

    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php