Signal over range, WAS: X -configure fails: Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Dec 22 18:12:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> ok, I moved a step further. 'X -configure' is now successful.
> All I had to do is to move the graphics card to another pci
> slot. Perhaps where xvr600 was, is not a standard pci slot
> at all? pgx64 worked fine there in the text mode, but not
> in the graphics mode.
>
> So now I'm stopped with "Signal over range" message reported
> by the monitor firmware (?).
>
> The card seems to be detected, the scan frequencies I put
> are from the manufacturer's specs, but still something is wrong.
>
> I put conf and log files here:
>
> http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/xorg.conf.new
> http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/Xorg.0.log

Manually setting a single mode is probably the easiest:

Section "Screen"
 	Identifier "Screen0"
 	Device     "Card0"
 	Monitor    "Monitor0"
 	DefaultDepth 24
 	SubSection "Display"
 		Viewport   0 0
 		Depth     24
 		Modes "1280x1024"
 	EndSubSection
EndSection

That might be enough, or you might have to go to 1024x768.  You could
limit the entries in the Monitor section to trick the card into picking
a single reasonable mode, like VertRefresh 70, or HorizSync 30-50.
(Assuming this is a CRT.  If it's an LCD, use VertRefresh 60.)

Incidentally, Radeon 7000 cards are available in standard PCI for $20 or
so.  Not a great card, but quite an upgrade over a Mach64, and supported
by a current driver.