Help building/running SDL/OpenGL code

Richard Mace macerl at telkomsa.net
Tue Dec 22 17:50:44 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 19:31:31 you wrote:

> What version of the nvidia driver are you using?

The one in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver-173. I have to use this for the aging
FX 5200.

> Have a look at the x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau port. Maybe that works
>  for you?
>
> (BTW, problems like these are why I avoid proprietary drivers like the
>  plague)

I'm rendering a whole bunch of molecules (spheres), moving a camera and at the
same time doing quite a bit of CPU intensive numerical integration of a whole
slew of coupled ordinary differential equations -- I need the speed of the GPU
(read proprietary driver) to relieve the CPU and avoid a slide show. (This
works very nicely with dual core CPUs: I use one thread for the rendering and
another for the numerics.)

I'll keep digging (and getting educated, I guess). Incidentally, in Debian
GNU/Linux they have a system of clever "diverts" which avoid these kinds of
library clashes.

Thanks
-Richard