anybody uses Netgear WG311T PCI wireless card? any issues?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 22 16:21:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 02:23:26PM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> It's quite confusing trying to figure out
> which card is which. ath(4) only gives
> chipsets as AR5210, AR5211, AR5212 and AR5416.
> But the manufacturers rarely say which chipsets
> their cards are using.

If you are looking at a certain card, download the windoze drivers from the
manufacturers website and extract them (using e.g. cabextract) somewhere. Then
you can keep into the .INF files for the drivers. Those usually give you the
chipset info you're looking for.

> After some search I can
> see that Netgear WG311T is ar5212, so should be
> supported. But, just to double check, is anybody
> using this card? Any issues?

Unfortunately you cannot count on all cards using the same chipset. On some
cards you can see the chips, but not on this particular model, it seems. See
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG311.asp
(not about the T model, but you get the drift)

Recently, I bought a Sitecom WL-171 v1 after I spotted a Ralink RT2561 chip on
the card.

Unfortunately, the only method to check if it _really_ works is to try it.

Roland