FreeBSD-8.0 ZFS issue: How to set kva_pages=512 when using the kernel from the Install dvd

"Snorre D. Øverbø" snorre at overbo.no
Mon Dec 21 19:11:00 UTC 2009

Hi all,

 I’m trying to an install a ZFS-only system using this recipe:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/UFSBoot

When I copy the FreeBSD-base to the new zfs file system, everything stops. I get a kernel panic with this message:
"panic: kmem_malloc()16384): kmem_map to small", and the whole box freezes.

The FreeBSD handbook recommends to set KVA_PAGES=512. But how do you do that if your installing on a new blank hard disk, using the install DVD?

I don’t have more than 1024 mb ram on my machine, so it’s maybe difficult to run ZFS on it anyway?

Snorre D. Øverbø