Loadbalance outgoing traffic over two cable modems in same network

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass9573 at gmx.com
Mon Dec 21 18:56:57 UTC 2009

On 12/21/2009 6:03 AM, Mel Flynn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've looked over http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html but this assumes two
> different gateways for the two interfaces.
> I'm faced with two cable modems from the same ISP, with the same gateway. I
> can't lagg(4) the interfaces, since specific IP's are bound to specific
> modems.

This can probably be fixed from the ISP side. It should probably be some
antispoofing rule that drops the packets you are sending via the "wrong"
interface. You could try communicating the problem to the ISP and hope for
the best...

> So I'm wondering if using stick-address with a round-robin nat pool is really
> sufficient to do load balancing of outgoing traffic and not get into session
> problems with various protocols. Has anybody had similar experiences?

I have no experience on this, but theoretically a state can expire while the
upper layers are still active... so, I *think* you may have problems...
Of course, you could increase the lifetime of states

A few, mostly random thoughts,
Nikos