System crashes under heavy disk i/o

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu Dec 17 21:47:03 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009 12:26:12 Erik Norgaard wrote:

> My two questions:
>
> - is there any utility that I can use monitor the system to see what's
> going on, when or why?

gstat(8)
Also, perhaps syslog to a different machine or nfs mount /var/log if you feel
you're missing a log message due to this error.

> - is there any way that I can slow down the disk i/o?

Turn down operating mode via atacontrol. If using dump(8) use the cache
feature and/or do the backup from live disk, so no other services are running
and disk isn't accessed other then by dump.
--
Mel