slow clock on FreeBSD 7.2 on vmware

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Dec 17 21:23:45 UTC 2009

Hi--

On Dec 17, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Steve Polyack wrote:
> I would really recommend switching to VMware ESXi if at all possible.  I have a lot of FreeBSD VMs running under ESXi 3.5 and 4.0 that work just great with kern.hz=100 and openntpd.

The "kern.hz=100" recommendation I can certainly agree with, but there is mostly no point in running ntpd or variants anywhere except on the host machine ("host ESX" for VMware, or Dom0 for Xen).  For VMware, the vmtools stuff should provide a mechanism to sync time in VMs to the host clock.

Regards,
--
-Chuck

PS: Same thing for Xen, recently discussed on the NTP pool timekeepers list:

Begin forwarded message: