Joining multiple Multicast Streams

Dex Nada dxnada at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:00:42 UTC 2009

Hi:

I am writing an application that joins a multicast stream on a specific UDP
port. But when I run more than one instance of the same application, the
second instance complains that the port is already in use. For example if I
join stream 229.10.10.133:2000 on one instance and 229.10.10..134:2000 on
another instance, the second one fails to join - I can however join it if I
kill the first instance. I have compiled that application with SOCKET_REUSE
option, but I wonder if I need to enable/recompile-with any special
multicast kernel option for this to work. I do not have this problem when I
run this code on Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) but I really want to get this working
on FreeBSD.

Thanks in advance.

-DxN