ifdown/ifup under FreeBSD?

Ricardo Jesus ricardo.meb.jesus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:49:13 UTC 2009

On 17/12/2009 14:19, Bas Smeelen wrote:
> Bas Smeelen wrote:
>> Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
>>
>>> Under RedHat Linux I can configure an interface, routes and so on in
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1,
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/routes-eth1 then simply run:
>>>
>>> $ ifup eth1
>>>
>>> and it will set all the routes/netconfig/aliases I just configured.
>>>
>>> Is there something similar in FreeBSD?
>>>
>>> I tried configuring aliases in /etc/rc.conf and running:
>>>
>>> $ /etc/rc.d/netif restart
>>>
>>> but that just ended in errors that the route was already configured
>>> and so on. Sure I could do all the work manually with ifconfig and
>>> route but that's not my question.
>>>

>> Usually I do this from remote with /etc/rc.d/netif restart&&
>> /etc/rc.d/routing restart&
>> Maybe you are not root (because of the $ prompt)?
>> #/etc/rc.d/netif restart&&  /etc/rc.d/routing restart&
>> This always works for me
>>
> Sorry, omit the last&
>

> DISCLAIMER:
> This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only
>
> If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system;
> Access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited.
>
> If you as intended recipient have received this e-mail incorrectly, please notify the sender (via e-mail).

The configuration files you're looking are /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/rc.conf.

The start/stop scripts are /etc/rc.d/routing and /etc/rc.d/netif
respectively. You can view then to check out what arguments they accept
(restart, stop, etc).

You can have a look at man resolv.conf and rc.conf man pages for more info.