Root exploit for FreeBSD

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 20:06:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:21:26 +0100
Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> replied:

>> Fortuantely, I had no problem setting up a "black" FreeBSD box to
>> preserve my sanity.
>
>A tip for those threatened with no BSD box at work:
>FreeBSD runs fine _inside_ a box that looks like a multi sheet scanner.
>OK, slow, but invisible to managers who require MS only.
>
>These scanners often lie abandoned in company junk rooms (& cheap
>on web), as people know they used to need MS's abandoned NT (= Not
>There) operating system.  Well they do ... until one installs BSD.
>Credit to David M. who did the FreeBSD work. Pictures of hardware
>to look for in junk rooms: http://www.berklix.com/scanjet/
>
>Cheers,
>Julian

Out of pure morbid curiosity, would you please answer this question for
me.

You work for a corporation that specifically requires the use of
a specific OS, the OS itself is not material to this question. It also
forbids the use of any unauthorized OS or equipment on the companies
network. You decide to ignore their directives and eventually:

1) Get caught
2) Cause a problem with the company's network, etc.

Now, when you get fired and possible charged with a crime, do you:

1) Cry and bitch that they are being unfair?
2) Accept the fact that you deserved to be dismissed?

Where I use to work, two or three employees were fired each year
because they thought they knew more than everyone else. They failed to
realize that they were being compensated to do what they were told and
not what they thought they should be doing. The bottom line is if they
are not smart enough to follow company directives, they are certainly
not capable of instigating their own protocol.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Grandpa Charnock's Law:
	You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

	[I thought it was when your kids learned to drive.  Ed.]