set up of hp laserjet 2200dn with Jetdirect 610N on network

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Dec 8 15:56:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, David Southwell wrote:

> I am trying to set up a freebsd 7.2 p3 system to be able to print from
> an hp laserjet 2200dn equipped with a built in 10/100 jetdirect 610N. The
> printer is also used by a number of MS$ systems on the same subnet as the
> server so I know the printer is working and configured to print both text and
> graphics and to use the double sided facility. I need to use similar
> facilities from the server.

Graphics, text, and duplexing are all determined by the contents of the
file to be printed.

> Despite reading the documentation I seem to be having difficulty setting up
> the printer from the server. So far I have not been able to get the beast to
> print-- I have scrapped all attempts at configuring the server and would
> appreciate some guidance before I trying again!!

If you just want to manually print files, netcat (nc) is the lowest
overhead.  Where printer is the printer DNS hostname and printfile is
the file to be printed:

nc printer 9100 < printfile

There's no spooling with that.  You mention "server", but don't say
whether other machines will be submitting print jobs through the server.
For that you'd need spooling.  Lots of people use CUPS, while I prefer
lpd.  One or the other may be preferable depending on the clients doing
the printing.