update/upgrade question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 11:24:09 UTC 2009

Alex Huth wrote:
> * Matthew Seaman schrieb:
>>> Next question is if i don't get updates with freebsd-update when i have
>>> a stable version? I have the problem with two machines (6.3 and 6.4). On both
>>> i do not get the public key because it is not available on the remote server.
>>> I have test it with debug.

>> freebsd-update only covers the RELEASE branches.  That is equivalent to
>> RELENG_6_3 or RELENG_6_4 in your cases.  However 6.3-RELEASE is due to go out
>> of support on the 31st January (http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html)
>> so now would be a good time to think about upgrading.

> So if i understand that right, it is not possible to follow the engeneering in
> stable and having all patches without using the way over "make buildworld
> ..."?

Yes.  If you want to track one of the development branches (HEAD, RELENG_N)
then you have to update sources by csup(1) or various other mechanisms and
then compile your kernel+world yourself.

Alternatively you can track release branches (RELENG_N_M) in the same way,
or so long as the release branch is still in support, you can use
freebsd-update(8) to pull down pre-built binary updates.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard