malformed man pages

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Sat Dec 5 06:40:00 UTC 2009

Michael Powell wrote:
> Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> We use /usr/bin/less from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/less, the
>> less-382.tar.gz, unpatched.
>>

> Why?
>

>> Does the less need to be patched in FreeBSD? If so, is there such a
>> patch exist?
>>

> Uhmm, this may sound a little strange, but why not use the one included as
> part of the system? In other words, there was no need to 'install' less.
> Remove whatever you installed and use the right one. It even has a man page,
> e.g., man less and you will see a man page for the included one unless
> you've made a total mess of your man pages.
>
> I suspect there may be a possibility of bringing "Linuxisms" to your
> approach to FreeBSD. While there may be some amount of crossover, FreeBSD is
> not Linux. Learn FreeBSD as if it were new to you and leave the Linuxisms
> aside.
>
> -Mike

In Tomahawk Desktop, we try to make as much as possible all components
of the OS are separately installable by the user, therefore, all
components are separately upgradeable. We have a really running well OS
based on FreeBSD sources though there are some hopefully minor issues to
be resolved. We are about to release the OS for developer preview.

As the less we installed was too old, we have upgraded our less to
less-436.tar.gz from http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less/. Again
unpatched.

The result is the same. Are we sure less is the culprit?

Regards
Sagara