which is the better way...?

usleepless at gmail.com usleepless at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 15:38:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

> it is better to pkg_delete OOo-301 or just cd to /usr/local and
> /bin/rm -r it from there?  this time i'll make a not of the preferred
> way of cleaning out the old stuff..

Early this century I started removing packages by issuing "sudo rm -rf /".
Works like a charm. Have been doing it ever since. Also, it keeps the
package database ( /var/db/pkg ) and the optional port directories in sync.
Very nifty.

And there is no need for tedious use of "make deinstall" or "make clean" (
the horror! ).

Furthermore the method is true to the Unix-philosophy of KISS: all of this
package management sjizzle is pure futuristic bloatware that keeps you away
from what Unix truely stands for.

There is a "third" way too: recently it was brought to my attention that
Chuck Norris NEVER deletes packages: he just shoots them.

YMMV ofcourse,

kind regards,

usleep