java config problem

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at datasynergy.org
Sun Aug 30 04:41:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, AN wrote:

> I'm trying to configure java on FreeBSD 7-stable and Gnome 2.26.3, with
> Firefox35.  I tried the following commands, but still no ability to view java
> applets.
>
> ln -s libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/lib/firefox/plugins
> ln -s libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins
> ln  libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins
>
> installed package's:
> pkg_info | grep java
> javavmwrapper-2.3.3 Wrapper script for various Java Virtual Machines
> pkg_info | grep jdk
> diablo-jdk-1.6.0.07.02 Java Development Kit 1.6.0_07.02
>
> Any help to get this working would be really appreciated.
>
> TIA

Hi AN:

To enable the java plugin in firefox, please do the following:

. cd $HOME/.mozilla

. cd plugins
  (if the plugins dir doesnot exist, please create one)

. ln -s /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.6.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

. on doing ls -l, you'll see an entry look like this
  libjavaplugin_oji.so@ -> /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.6.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

To check for java plugin support, you can try the following:

. start firefox 3.5
. type about:plugins in the address bar
. you should see entry like

  Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_07-b02

  File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
  Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_07

    MIME Type   Description     Suffixes    Enabled
    application/x-java-vm   Java        Yes
    application/x-java-applet   Java        Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1   Java        Yes

Hope this helps you get started with using Java on FreeBSD.

thanks
Saifi.