Samba and busy network

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Aug 28 15:41:28 UTC 2009

I have a FreeBSD machine serving as (among other  things) a Samba server
for an XP instance running under VirtualBox. The XP application is a data
gathering one that polls continuously. I have set up things so that XP
mounts the Samba share, and logs it's data there.

Problem is that every morning I come in to find that the XP app is
complaining of disk problems from the share. I am fairly certain that this
problem is occurring in the middle of the night, when my Amanda backups run.
This does load the network fairly good. The FreeBSD box, and the Linux box
are on the same switch, and same subnet. Anyone have suggestions as to how
to address this issue?

programs.