hard disk failure - now what?

George Davidovich freebsd at optimis.net
Wed Aug 26 21:14:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 04:45:40PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:23:47PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:13:48PM -0700, George Davidovich wrote: I
> > remember this special non-condictive 3M fluid that can be used to
> > cool electronics. A group of hackers dunked a complete PC minus the
> > case and power supply in this stuff. The fluid itself was cooled
> > with liquid nitrogen. They everclocked it something wicked. Not very
> > practical though. :-)
>
> A number of supercomputers from Cray and Control Data and maybe some
> other places used this sort of thing on some experimental systems.  I
> don't know if any ever were put in to commercial production.  They
> submerged who boards in to it and then supercooled the fluid.   I
> don't remember the chemical names.

I do, but have no idea why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluorohexane

> The fluid was a relative of Freon and held sufficient levels of oxygen
> to support lung breathers.  They used to have a tank with a live mouse
> submerged in it bouncing around and seeming to have no trouble not
> choking or drowning.

> A variation of it was also researched as a blood substitute for some
> special medical needs.  I don't know how far that went.    I know it
> is not all fantasy because I saw the live mouse.

I believe you.  I saw a similar scene in a movie, so I already knew it
had to be true.  Bonus points for anyone that can add to this thread's
collection of off-topic but semi-interesting trivia and name the movie.

> I didn't try the blood substitute.

	How do you save a drowning mouse?
	Use mouse to mouse resuscitation.

Thanks, I'll be here all week.  Try the veal instead.

--
George